1. People are struggling: Many of us are navigating our way through this life looking for what we are ‘for’, what makes us happy and we are all looking for a way to make sense of it all, and to have the chance to put a brake on everything just to see where the hell we actually are. Lesson 1 – let’s make space for people to ask themselves these questions and just stop the clock now and again. And then listen to what they say, and try to help them with this.
2. People can be actually truly nice: If you take the time and trouble to create a safe space; if you role model love, fairness, kindness and tolerance then others will naturally follow. We are accustomed to being quick to judge – why? Many haven’t had the gifts we have been so fortunate to have, so why do we not cut them some slack? Why write them off? Lesson 2 – really practice forgiveness and allowing. Please….?
3. People have huge potential to help others: It’s immense, our capacity to listen and to lend our brains to someone else’s problems….why don’t we create the opportunities to do this more? I just don’t get it. Build in practices to enable this. Lesson 3 - we get one life – let’s share our wisdom with humility and share it out. It’s actually an enjoyable mental work out to ponder someone else’s problem and our unique angle on this could be the thing that unlocks everything. Wow.
4. The world is hard right now: We are disastrously not noticing what we are allowing to happen to our world. We cannot let our attention drift. Our children and their children do not deserve this. Please (do this one) – Lesson 4 - let’s use our corporate influencing capacity to change this. Listen to the data. Don’t be lazy and complacent. This totally matters.
5. If you try hard, magical things start to happen: If you actually spend time thinking about the purpose of why you choose to do things; if you get into the habit of considering and writing down what you’re going for and if you actually go for the best in everything then it all starts to happen. If you then expend as much energy as you can in achieving a fabulous result, you will be rewarded. Lesson 5 – consider your purpose in everything you do, and set up a successful outcome for you and others around you.
6. Self- belief is the answer: We are already perfect, if we did but allow ourselves to know it. But for some reason life tells us otherwise. Imagine - if we did allow ourselves to really know this we would be powerful beyond compare, free to achieve everything we actually can. Why wouldn’t we give ourselves this best chance? Lesson 6 – Believe in the potential and power of you, you unique human - forgive and back yourself. You’re so worthy of this and life will open up when we truly understand our value.
I am inspired by the people I have the good fortune to meet, and in these challenging times they renew my faith in what we can believe, become and achieve.
The Explorer Mindset is a unique, immersive, full-board residential senior leadership development programme for the 21st Century, which has been created by the Moller Institute at Churchill College, University of Cambridge.
For further details of how to apply go to www. Explorermindset.com or contact Cathy Butler, Head of Executive Education on +44(0) 1223 465575, email@example.com